Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » General Didj Issues » Is website linking to competitors needed?
Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2205] Sat, 10 December 2005 08:52 Go to next message
warnerr is currently offline  warnerr

Linking to websites[ 8 votes ]
1. The policy is too severe 2 / 25%
2. Reasonable policy 6 / 75%

I feel respect for the sponsering site is important. It would be nice if informative links were allowed. No one web resource has or can have it all. What do you think?

Near San Diego, California, USA
Re: Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2206 is a reply to message #2205] Sat, 10 December 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
I can understand the site's concern for cannibalizing their sales/profits, but there is a wealth of information that others can certainly benefit from learning and appreciating, not to mention those offering complimentary services.

Of course respect for the sponsor should always be paramount.

Best,
Jason

Jason

[Updated on: Tue, 13 December 2005 14:15] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

But this is the apparent policy..... [message #2210 is a reply to message #2206] Sat, 10 December 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kellymon is currently offline  kellymon
.....or at least that is what appears to be the policy based on posts I have read. (no mention or link to other didj souces)
I don't want to stir up a big controversy here, just a little food for thought.
Actually, I just searched around for the actual policy for clarification, and couldn't find it.
Does anyone know if is posted, or is it just generally accepted?

It's still great to have a new place to get together again and share our passion for the didj! Smile

peace,
kellymon

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2005 11:39]

icon4.gif  Re: Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2215 is a reply to message #2206] Sat, 10 December 2005 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Svargo is currently offline  Svargo
Hi Folks,

Bonzo made me aware of the appeals from Kellymon and Jason to change our policy of not allowing links to competing didj websites. (so to be clear, links to non-commercial didj sites are ok)

Firstly it is against our commercial interest to build up this big didj community with our money and time and then allow our competitors to use it to advertise themselves and syphon our customers and visitors. (I am fully aware that this is not your intentions, but it would be unavoidable)

Secondly to change this policy would open a can of worms.
It would be very hard and time consuming or even impossible to draw a line (as to whom we allow links to and whom we do not) so we would have to allow links to all competitors, even Indonesian and Indian didj makers.

Thirdly most of our Aboriginal suppliers consider any didgeridoo made by someone non-indigenous for commercial purposes as stealing their cultural assets, no matter whether they cater to musicians or tourists or anyone else.
It would create tensions between us and our suppliers if they realised that we promote in any way people who reduce Aboriginal employment by selling Aboriginal cultural assets - and every non-indigenous didj cutter, maker and painter does exactly that. Every didj sold by these people is one less opportunity for Aborigines to sell their own products. It is a sad fact that Aborigines are getting squeezed out of the Aboriginal art industry and about 70-90% of so-called Aboriginal art is already made by non-indigenous people. This is reflected by the huge amount of didgeridoo sites selling didjes which are not made or even painted by Aboriginal people (most of which cleverly hide that fact or even lie about it).

We cannot stop these websites but please do not expect us to link to them or have them mentioned.
And we do not want to spend our time to sort the good from the bad apples (specially since most are bad or very bad ones) so it is much simpler to have no links to any competitors.

In most cases you can still say whatever you want without mentioning our competitors and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused in the few exceptions.
I believe that the price we would pay (and our Aboriginal suppliers) outweighs any possible inconvenience caused to forum user and I hope you will continue to participate in this forum.

Thanks, Kellymon, for correctly pointing out that this policy is not displayed anywhere - except in our newsletter at launch time (http://www.didjshop.com/newsletter/2004/04.html). We will add it to the forum FAQ's.

Svargo
Re: Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2216 is a reply to message #2215] Sat, 10 December 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
White Knight is currently offline  White Knight
Svargo,

Thanks for clarifying most of this issue. I do have one question on your comment:
"In most cases you can still say whatever you want without mentioning our competitors"

Do you truly mean we can not mention them, or we simply can not post a link to their site?

And if we can't mention them at all, then would you consider a didge crafter that sells his/her own didges to be taboo to mention also?

Thanks in advance for clarifying this,
Allan
Re: Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2217 is a reply to message #2216] Sun, 11 December 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warnerr is currently offline  warnerr
I hate getting ripped off buying non-authentic Australian sold didges, but I can never mention any names or links. This helps the crooks live off the aborigionies!

Near San Diego, California, USA
Re: Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2225 is a reply to message #2205] Mon, 12 December 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Svargo:

Thanks for your input in this matter, because I think it brings us closer to some kind of resolution. However, I do raise objection to one particular point:

Quote:

And we do not want to spend our time to sort the good from the bad apples (specially since most are bad or very bad ones) so it is much simpler to have no links to any competitors.

While I do agree it would take resources to monitor the links, I believe your comment about 'most being bad' a bit misguided. My own recommendations for links are for reputable and well-respected importers and crafters here in the US who have a great respect for the Aboriginal people and WOULD NOT DARE pass off their own didjs as being Aboriginal. Rather, they have made their own statement in crafting didjs in non-traditional ways while being ever mindful of the cultural basis and history of this instrument and people i.e Tyler S./agave, Ben H./aspen and American hardwoods, Geoff F./yucca agave snake gourd, etc.

These individuals are amazing musicians and craftsmen whose presence only benefits the didj community, but I digress. Again, I don't mean to continue stoking the fire, only to provide some food for thought. You've enabled us a great resource to share our love for this instrument, and for that I am very grateful.

Best

Jason

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 16:39] by Moderator

Re: Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2226 is a reply to message #2205] Mon, 12 December 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kellymon is currently offline  kellymon
Svargo,
Thanks for taking the time to clarify. Although I agree with jkon regarding the non-aboriginal crafters he mentions, as well as others, I now better understand your concerns.
peace and respect,
kellymon

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 09:35]

icon4.gif  Re: Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2236 is a reply to message #2226] Mon, 12 December 2005 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Svargo is currently offline  Svargo
Well folks, I hope this will answer all outstanding questions

1) Alan says: "Do you truly mean we can not mention them, or we simply can not post a link to their site?"
Yes, whether you have an active link or talk about "worst-didgeridoos.com" or even just "worst-didgeridoos" is no difference, anyone can immediately find the website, so the rule is that you need to word whatever you say so commercial didj websites are not easily recognisable (which does not mean you cannot mention them - see below)

2) Warnerr, we could be subject to defamation litigation if we would let you mention ripp-off websites here. But if you have any proof, please email me personally, we are collecting such evidence to hand to relevant authorities.

3) Jason says: "I believe your comment about 'most being bad' a bit misguided."
If you sincerely believe that most didj sellers on the net are "good", I dare to suggest you might be the one misguided - you'll be surprised how many crooks you can find in this industry and how little Aborigines get out of the millions made in it.
In our view (which we share with many Aborigines) anyone who makes any money out of didjes and does not return at least some of the profits to Aborigines is not really on the "good" side, no matter how much he respects or talks about Aborignes in his words.
Anyway the no-promotion rules apply even for Ben, Tyler and Geoff. The question is not whether they are respectable people with high ethics and respect for Aborignes or even return some profits (I don't know), but whether they sell didjes.
As you can see I have edited your post, Jason, to abbreviate their family names. This makes it much harder for them to be found in a search, but still identifies them for people in the know.
When posting to this forum, please do spend the extra minute to check for such details in respect for our Aborignal didj makers. Thanks

Last not least, please consider this: ten years ago we had 3-4 times as many Aboriginal didj suppliers. Most went out of business due to more and more non-indigenous people making didjes (and it is not one or three individuals, but the sheer number of them). The Aboriginal didj makers that are left sell less didjes now than they did then and are struggling to survive. We will not do anything to help accelerate this terrible trend and ask for your support on this. Thanks

Keep on didjing with respect...
Svargo

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 17:57]

Re: Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2237 is a reply to message #2205] Mon, 12 December 2005 19:12 Go to previous message
Svargo:

Many thanks for your patience with us as we debate this question. I believe we have indeed come to a satisfactory conclusion:

1) Caveat emptor- buyer beware. One way that each of us can ensure that Aboriginal artists are paid their dues as artists and custodians of their culture is to support merchants who share our philosophies. For me, that means trusting one of several importers that I know- who purchase directly from the artists to bring them stateside and introduce their art/craftsmanship to people who genuinely appreciate it. In my quest for Yolngu yidaki, I have contacted art centres in NEAL directly. These are Yolngu artisans and yidakimirr who feel compelled to share their culture through their music and their crafts. That I will always support as a collector and as a player.

2) An understanding that non-traditional craftsmen do exist, not to coopt Aboriginal cultural assets, but to do something to contribute to the worldwide didj community. As a player, I have great respect for the culture that brought the didjeridu to me, and my way of respecting that is by buying Aboriginal crafts directly if I can, or through a respected dealer. These crafters/players that I have mentioned earlier have made their mark on the international didj community through their pieces, and that can only be good, because it shows an ethical growth in the market. Their instruments draw inspiration from the Aboriginal instrument makers, but are unique in their choice of material and sonic character. These importers DO return a profit to the Aboriginal artists through their good business relationships with their suppliers, and I that I can say confidently and without hesitation.

3) An understanding that less scrupulous dealers/merchants exist, and it is our responsibility to educate and not support their efforts if it means a breakdown in traditional Aboriginal culture. It is my understanding that cheap souvenier grade didjs run particularly rampant in Australia, as the market struggles to keep up with demand. This abuse will lose steam, but only through education. If we are to change the market, we have to understand what brought about its downward slide in the first place-- greed and capitalism.

4) To continue thoughtful and sensitive discussion on these matters.

I will close with one final thought provoking question-- would you consider any of the art centres across the NT as being antagonistic competitors to your endeavor, or as partners in your mission to support Aboriginal artists? I hope that you will treat them as the latter.

Best,
Jason

Jason

[Updated on: Tue, 13 December 2005 14:21] by Moderator

Previous Topic: Didj cave painting?
Next Topic: Recording Didge Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 11:54:17 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07331 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.