Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Sound Healing » Sound healing novice
Sound healing novice [message #3202] Wed, 19 April 2006 05:33 Go to next message
Skyer is currently offline  Skyer
Dear Friends,

I'm getting a new didge pretty soon and it's supose to be great for sound healing, unfortunatly I have little to no experience with this part of the didgeridoo. It is however a part of the didge I would to explore, I've noticed the positive effects of playing the didgeridoo and want to explore them futher. Anyone who can offer me some advice?

index.php?t=getfile&id=411&private=0
Playing the Didgeridoo is taking the time to catch up with mother earth
Re: Sound healing novice [message #3203 is a reply to message #3202] Wed, 19 April 2006 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
I really don't subscribe much to the notion of sound healing with didgeridoo, but if it works for you, then I'm all for it.

I will say this: playing the didj onto parts of the body is a new-age concept. The science behind it is barely started, and I imagine that the deep vibrations of the drone might do something to, say, loosen mucus from a congested chest. If you enjoy sound healing with the didgeridoo, that's great. But don't justify it to anything Aboriginal-take responsibility for it yourself.

Jason
Re: Sound healing novice [message #3204 is a reply to message #3203] Wed, 19 April 2006 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasn't planning on it, I know it's a thing of the western world and I know that although aboriginals did play didge to speed up healing processes, they didn't actualy do it the way way sound healers do (by playing on the body), I realize that. My didge is mainly an instrument for music and relaxation, but if other people have any profit of me playing for or on them I would like to help them. It's a new aspect of the didge I want to explore, I'm scepticle about these things myself but I must admit that didge does have a profound effect on me, I wish to share that effect so it can benefit others.

Re: Sound healing novice [message #3772 is a reply to message #3204] Thu, 07 September 2006 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aka_no_kitsune is currently offline  aka_no_kitsune
the most experiance that i have had with sound healing is more like a "sound massage" if my girlfriend had a rough day, i would usually have her lay down and i would play the didg over her shoulders and back. she said it helped to loosen muscles and she quite often fell asleep while i was doing this.

If anyone has anything more indepth that they would be able to tell about techniques or theory surrounding sound healing i would be more than glad to hear

Scott
Re: Sound healing novice [message #3798 is a reply to message #3772] Thu, 14 September 2006 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
qiphlow is currently offline  qiphlow
didjes have vibrational frequencies, our bodies have vibrational frequencies. playing didjes near or on bodies will produce a change in the body's vibrational frequencies. some folks like it, some don't.

References to drug use have no place in the forum . . .

R E L A X

[Updated on: Sat, 16 September 2006 09:28] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Sound healing novice [message #4007 is a reply to message #3798] Mon, 23 October 2006 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shayne is currently offline  Shayne
"didjes have vibrational frequencies, our bodies have vibrational frequencies. playing didjes near or on bodies will produce a change in the body's vibrational frequencies. some folks like it, some don't."

more like didjs create and are vibrational frequencies, our bodies are vibrational frequencies in a crystalized form. Playing didj on the body or near the body has transformative capacities.

why no talk of drugs in the forum? A lot of new age didj players experiement with drugs and didj playing so why leave it undiscussed?

shayne

While we have no problem with a discussion on drugs per se, drug use is causing significant problems in Aboriginal communities and the Didjshop forum does not allow posts that condone or encourage drug taking.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 October 2006 10:28] by Moderator

Re: Sound healing novice [message #4019 is a reply to message #4007] Wed, 25 October 2006 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For better or for worse, the didjeridu has been 'appropriated' by the counterculture, a subculture that admittedly is often associated with psychedelic experimentation. Perhaps it should be a topic of discussion here- we are all participants in the global didj community and should likewise have a voice.

Psychedelics aren't my cup of tea, so I can't really comment there.

Jason
Re: Sound healing novice [message #4020 is a reply to message #4019] Wed, 25 October 2006 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the support... I've been getting private emails from moderators for defending this type of discussion. They suppose that by talking about new age drug use and didjn on didjshop.com, didjshop.com is condoning new age drug use and didjn... which are two totally different things.

Just because i study ancient mesoamerican human sacrifice does not mean i condone it. i merely talk about it to try and understand it.

the contraversy of mentioning drug use and the didj should be discussed before the drug use itself or else the moderators might interfere with postings.

what do you think.. about the censorship of contraversial issues related to the didj on didjshop.com? should we just ignore that our fellow didj players are appropriating the instrument as such? or should we talk about it in attempt to understand the various ways people of the non-aboriginal world use the instrument?

shayne
Re: Sound healing novice [message #4021 is a reply to message #4020] Wed, 25 October 2006 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bazza is currently offline  Bazza
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Well, I'd like to thank Didjnet for Not allowing any discussion on Drugs....What would be the point ?? Any discussion would quickly turn into a debate which could influence a reader into giving it a try. ...... I suppose I,ve read nearly every posting on this Forum,and what is so refreshing ,is the lack of the usual SMUT !!(Sex and Drug Woffle)..... Keep that to yourself,and enjoy all the other positive Topics that this Respectable Forum has to offer!! Very Happy Very Happy

Cheeers
Barry

"PLEASE NOTE: While we have no problem with a discussion on drugs per se, drug use is causing significant problems in Aboriginal communities and the Didjshop forum does not allow posts that condone or encourage drug taking. "

* I've Found a Way to Relax and Play.*

[Updated on: Thu, 26 October 2006 03:41] by Moderator

Re: Sound healing novice [message #4024 is a reply to message #4019] Thu, 26 October 2006 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me first start of by saying that I (have) use(d) my share of psychedelic drugs (be it all natural). However I would never encourage other people to take any kind of drugs (friends or strangers). There are (as most of us know) also seriously risks involved in the use of drugs and therefore I (and didjshop) could never allow the encouragement of the consumption of these drugs.

Re: Sound healing novice [message #4030 is a reply to message #4024] Thu, 26 October 2006 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

should we just ignore that our fellow didj players are appropriating the instrument as such? or should we talk about it in attempt to understand the various ways people of the non-aboriginal world use the instrument?

Here's my two cents: the cat is out of the bag, as it is. The didjeridu has moved far from Arnhemland and is definitely used in ways far removed from its ceremonial context, and trying to take it back to some mythic past is unreasonable and impossible. The counterculture movement- including 'new agers'- has 'appropriated' the didj and shaped into what they would consider a 'vehicle for higher consciousness', a meditational tool, etc. And somehow there are elements of the global didj community that sees the drone of the didj as some Universal voice for all humanity. Cultures borrow elements from one another all the time, sometimes out of respect and other times out of selfishness and exploitation.

I have a great passion for Aboriginal culture and traditional styles of play, and I can see how these discussions about the non-Aboriginal use of the instrument can be useful discussions but I think there is also great potential for misinformation and negativity. I don't subscribe to notions of 'sound healing'- because the science is just starting and I view from the position of a skeptical agnostic.

On the subject of the counterculture and the didj- the book 'Didjeridu: From Arnhemland to Internet' contains a chapter about this community's use of didj and levels of appropriation. I would try and find a copy if you're interested in a more scholarly view of the subcultures of the global didj community as well as more of an investigation into the origins of the instrument. In the interest of civility, discussions about less savory aspects of the global didj community should be probably be kepy private between members and off the public forum.

Jason
Re: Sound healing novice [message #4031 is a reply to message #4030] Thu, 26 October 2006 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was nice to hear what you fella's had to say. I am glad that the topic of discussing the contraversial issues of the didj is at least sparking interest in those of you who have shared your thoughts. Although it seems those who have responded to the question do not share my opinion that we should discuss some of these things online, I am still of the opinion that we should and if not, we should at least talk about why not. Censorship in this sense, is, in my opinion, an over-romancing of the globalized didj community. Maybe none of us in here dabble in that which i am unable to speak of according to policy, but there definately are those that do. For reason that are just as much a part of "the global didj community" as we are, they represent us as we represent them. Therefore, we should not ignore or shuffle aside the issue. To do so would be adding to the problem by not raising awareness about the problem. Those dabbling didj players dabble not because they wish to consciously disrespect the Aboriginal heritage of the instrument, but because they simply are unaware of what they are doing. For us, as respectful members of the globalized didj community, to not discuss it is to add to the lack of awareness which causes the problem in the first place.

Shayne

Please see the the edited response to your original message

[Updated on: Fri, 27 October 2006 10:29] by Moderator

Re: Sound healing novice [message #4353 is a reply to message #4031] Sat, 09 December 2006 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pterois is currently offline  Pterois

Why I like this forum?

Because we all share the same interest, evolving with respect from each others like a big family, into the world of didgeridoo, nobody stay the same person after starting playing didg, the bound between the player and that instrument is really strong, on this forum we are helping each others with our own experience, but I believe that stories about drugs and sex, have no space here there is others forums for those topics, you don't go saying to your little brother or your parents that you are taking drugs, think about this forum that way keep it clean and do whatever you want in private.
Douglas.
Re: Sound healing novice [message #4545 is a reply to message #4353] Fri, 19 January 2007 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turtledidg1 is currently offline  turtledidg1
I have recently signed up for this forum, and would like to make comment: To me it is best to respect the wishes of the facilitators of this forum, didjshop.com, and refrain from certain references. They stated their reasons why, and those reasons are out of respect. Everyone has 'free will' to say what they want. Yet, they also have 'free will' to express their opinions elsewhere. Just as didjshop.com has 'free will' to set up guidelines, and request that those guidelines be honoured.
In regards to sound healing: sound for healing has been used for hundreds, if not thousands, of years by cultures that existed long before ours. Just as they used herbs, prayer, etc. Science would say 'I'll believe it when I see it'. Yet, renewed outlooks on life, as well as ideas and inventions, work on the principle of 'I'll believe it so I can see it'. Why wait for science to prove anything? Be open to new possibilities, and try to put them into practice. Experiences make our life, not graph charts and statistics.
It seems to me people here know little about 'New Agers', if they even exist any more. The term is rather over-used, and mis-used. I could go into this. But instead I'll simply say that you're stereotyping, which is narrow thinking.
When you are playing a didj, play it with the respect it deserves. And if you notice people being affected by the vibrations and sounds in a positive way....then keep on playing!!
Peace
Re: Sound healing novice [message #4547 is a reply to message #4545] Sat, 20 January 2007 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulb is currently offline  paulb
Welcome to the forum, Michael. I believe you will enjoy it here.

Paul

In beautiful Rimrock, Arizona
Re: Sound healing novice [message #4877 is a reply to message #4353] Fri, 22 June 2007 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shashidhar1234 is currently offline  shashidhar1234
hi to all

well i guess ur right as i found this forum full of about0 sound therapy and healing well i found this site which has a lot of article about music therapy go head may it will help you to all

Re: Sound healing novice [message #5401 is a reply to message #3798] Tue, 11 November 2008 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robhervey is currently offline  robhervey
did I miss something? I didn't notice any drug references other than the moderator bringing it up.
Re: Sound healing novice [message #5402 is a reply to message #5401] Tue, 11 November 2008 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulb is currently offline  paulb
Rob,

The reason you didn't see the reference is because it was removed.

In beautiful Rimrock, Arizona
Re: Sound healing novice [message #5429 is a reply to message #3203] Sat, 06 December 2008 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaGip is currently offline  DaGip
JKon380 wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 08:15

I really don't subscribe much to the notion of sound healing with didgeridoo, but if it works for you, then I'm all for it.

I will say this: playing the didj onto parts of the body is a new-age concept. The science behind it is barely started, and I imagine that the deep vibrations of the drone might do something to, say, loosen mucus from a congested chest. If you enjoy sound healing with the didgeridoo, that's great. But don't justify it to anything Aboriginal-take responsibility for it yourself.

Let me say that I used to be a complete skeptic of didj healing, and the first time I had heard of it was when I was in Hawaii. I kept meeting people who kept telling me that I could give "didj massage". It sounded so bizarre, I felt very awkward playing over people, especially over genitalia, but I would play over people if they asked, and I never asked for money, but people were willing to pay me...strange.

I really didn't think that much of didj healing, more like you do with your "whatever floats your boat" philosophy. The main thing was that I enjoyed to play didj all the time, and if someone wanted me to play over them, then that was fine. I was going to play anyway, and if they believed it would help them in some way, what does it hurt?

Then once I was walking to the grocery store, and this hippie lady stops and asks if I would be willing to play over a friend of hers that couldn't walk or stand because of a recent stroke. I said I would as long as he was okay with it. What would it hurt, right?

So I get to the gentleman's house and he is sitting in the front yard on a lawn chair. The hippie lady introduces me.

I tell the man what I was going to do, that I would start playing directly above his head and bring it down his neck and down his right arm and leg where he was paralyzed.

I thought to myself,"This is just crazy..."

I started playing above the man's crown chakra, and almost immediately he was starting to raise his right arm above his head. The hippie lady kept telling him to breath and to keep moving his arm.

When I started moving my didj down his neck towards his shoulders, there seemed to be some type of pressure that was trying to keep me from playing, kind of like an invisible hand that was covering the end of my didj to shut me up. Later I learned that this is called "blockage"...if there is another name for this phenomena, I would be glad to hear about it from someone.

I kept playing over and over that area until I could play clearly and I kept moving down his arm and down his back again and down his leg, and right away he stood up and was lifting his leg up.

After experiencing that, I thought that there must be something to it. I smashed my finger one night at a party in the desert by the Grand Canyon, and there was a fellow didj player there. My finger nail was smashed pretty good, and it felt like it was going to fall off for sure! The pain was so bad that I asked the didj player to play over it, and he said he would. The pain began to ease up right away and completely disappeared, and my finger nail never fell off.

I played over my sister's hurt back once too, and she said that it helped.

I really think there is something to the vibrations and frequency of the didj that can stimulate cell repair. I would be very interested to hear from anyone else that has had a similar experience with stroke victims and didj healing.
Re: Sound healing novice [message #5431 is a reply to message #3202] Sun, 14 December 2008 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
qiphlow is currently offline  qiphlow
wow. my first dose of internet censorship! i feel like such an outlaw.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

R E L A X

[Updated on: Sun, 14 December 2008 22:08]

Re: Sound healing novice [message #5462 is a reply to message #5429] Sun, 29 March 2009 12:45 Go to previous message
bhbyrum is currently offline  bhbyrum
You did with your didj, what I do with my hands when I do energy work - you removed an energy blockage. It sounds like it was quite effective. Keep up the good work. Razz
Previous Topic: Syncronised didj healing for Bonzo
Next Topic: Migrane Therapy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 02:57:51 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05863 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.