Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Learning to Play » Mouth Position(poll)
Mouth Position(poll) [message #3405] Wed, 21 June 2006 15:38 Go to next message
Didgen2herps is currently offline  Didgen2herps

Mouth Position[ 28 votes ]
1. Right side of mouth 9 / 32%
2. Left side of mouth 8 / 29%
3. Center of mouth 11 / 39%

I was just curious on the mouth position everyone uses. I personally play with the didge to the right side of my mouth, i can barely play on the left and center. Seems much easier in my case to CB or BB on the right side too.

How do you all play?
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3406 is a reply to message #3405] Wed, 21 June 2006 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in_didgi_nas is currently offline  in_didgi_nas
I play on the left, but I have slowly crept toward the center so I can pull off toots (overblows) easier. So I guess it is between left and center.
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3408 is a reply to message #3406] Thu, 22 June 2006 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
red-dog is currently offline  red-dog
I can play on the left, right and centre dont know how it just came easy I suppose, but I get a lot more pressure when I paly on the left but can play quicker on the front.

Reddog Razz
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3409 is a reply to message #3405] Thu, 22 June 2006 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very cool guys.

Now, One more question. Are you two both left handed?

Seems everyone who I have talked to who plays the didge, there mouth position corresponds with there ability to use there right, left or both hands.
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3414 is a reply to message #3409] Fri, 23 June 2006 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ducpao is currently offline  ducpao
well I am very right hand dominant, but I almost exclusively play didge on the left side of my mouth. What does that mean? Laughing Laughing

Keep making strange sounds,

Doug

In Los Angeles, Ca.
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3415 is a reply to message #3414] Fri, 23 June 2006 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe that means you are cross-wired, like me! Laughing Laughing
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3417 is a reply to message #3415] Fri, 23 June 2006 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy Nah... It all just means that theory was blown out of the water.

I guess the whole left side of my body is a bit impaired, I cant do anything worth while on that side.

That theory still holds up locally though!

-jason
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3419 is a reply to message #3417] Fri, 23 June 2006 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
qiphlow is currently offline  qiphlow
left side player, but i'm right-handed.

R E L A X
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3422 is a reply to message #3405] Sat, 24 June 2006 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Started playing off to the (left) side, but have gradually migrated to a more central position. I get more precision and articulation playing from a frontal position, because I get the sense that every part of the breathing system is 'in line'- diaphragm, lungs, bronchial tubes, vocal cords, throat, tongue, lips and through to the didge itself. The transmission of sound and pop across all of the parts comes much easier....

Jason
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3423 is a reply to message #3422] Sat, 24 June 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pterois is currently offline  Pterois
I agree with you Jason, it's my way of playing and so far so good Very Happy Frontal position also allow you to see your public without having a pain in the neck Laughing (maybe your public is!!!)
Douglas.
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3425 is a reply to message #3423] Sat, 24 June 2006 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I started playing, it was frontal. I found that I get crisper effects from tongue placement when I play on the side, which I have heard others say. I am interested when I hear some say that the front is crisper. Is it a matter of experience to get the frontal style as articulate. I fully agree that front allows for easier transition between drone and toot. Should I strive for the frontal assault or would you say "If it is not broke, don't fix it"?
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3426 is a reply to message #3425] Sat, 24 June 2006 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like didge playing position varys much more than i thought. I was thinking off to the side would be a minority.

in_didgi_nas, I am a new guy to the didgeridoo so i am in no way going to really answer that question to a tee( nor should you even listen to me Very Happy) but being a player of other instruments that I have done for years I can say this:

From my experience with other instruments I have found that there is no wrong or right way per say. You have the basis in terms of what the instrument 'should' sound like and the rest is up to you. Thousands upon thousands of people can play the guitar and piano, but what makes you stand out from those thousands is your own unique style from which you formed from the basic technique.

I have the basic drone down on the didge, thats all i need. The rest is up to me.

So, from my limited experience with the didge but farely good experience with other instruments i am one of the " aint broke, dont fix it folks'.

Also, Arn't crisp tongue placements, and clear articulations much more important than toots( in general playing)?
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3427 is a reply to message #3426] Sun, 25 June 2006 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pterois is currently offline  Pterois
Amen my Brothers,
There is no right or wrong way for the position of your lips on a didge the essential thing is to be comfortable with it, and this is up to each of us to experiment and feel the instrument, the goal is to play, then let's do it!!!
Douglas.
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3431 is a reply to message #3425] Sun, 25 June 2006 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Quote:

Is it a matter of experience to get the frontal style as articulate.

I think so, but it's also a matter of individual preference and physiological differences as well. As I've mentioned here on the board, I am very interested in, and study closely, traditional playing techniques and styles. Most of the literature and films available show traditional yidaki players, especially Galpu, playing nearly spot-on center. I believe that a straight on embouchure properly strengthened can produce all the crispness that you are after, and only time will tell. I will say, that moving from center to side was an adjustment-- my tones were flabby and I felt like I was starting over again as a beginner. In many ways, that's true: I was learning new articulations/syllables and timing, rhythms and techniques, so it was very foreign to me. With this being said, will I ever play spot-on center? Probably not. My teeth prevent that a little bit, and heck, even Djalu plays a little off to the left (for a DVD of Galpu ceremony, check out Yidaki Festa 2005- Djalu playing yidaki, his brother Gurritjiri singing manikay, grandson Sylvester (Liyakandirr) and wife Dopiya dancing).

But there is a caveat: this instrument is very much about self-exploration and diatribes about technique will only take you so far. As friends have commented on other boards: it's interesting how we Balanda obsess about technique, and Yolngu just do it!

Jason

[Updated on: Sun, 25 June 2006 20:08]

Report message to a moderator

icon3.gif  Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3434 is a reply to message #3405] Mon, 26 June 2006 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joneskyle39 is currently offline  joneskyle39
I actually use both the center and right side of my mouth.
I find that when I use the center (entire lips) I can push my
bottom lip further in and get a much deeper drown. While when
I use the right side of my mouth I get a slightly more high
pitched drown and find that the tounge rolls sound nicer sound.
Has anyone else found this as well? Rolling Eyes

icon3.gif  Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3435 is a reply to message #3405] Mon, 26 June 2006 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually use both the center and the right side of my
mouth to play. Usually when I'm playing slower and want
a deeper sound I use the center of my mouth and use alot
more of my lower lip. When I play a bit faster I use
the right side which seems to made a higher pitched drown
with my didj. Has anyone else experianced this? Rolling Eyes

Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3438 is a reply to message #3435] Mon, 26 June 2006 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Joneskyle,

When I play center, I can aswell get a deeper drone but when I play to the right side everything is much easier and crisper.

The first day I tried to play the didge I naturally went to my right side, it just felt right.....then after listening to Peter Spoecker teach, I learned there is no 'right' way to play the didge.

One thing harder though on the side(for me) is buzzing the lips to get the drone right away. It takes a 1/2 second of so to get myself situated when I play.....i'll have to work on that for sure so I do not make a fool out of myself. My top lip hits the inside at first and makes a spitting sound, than I move down alittle and i then am fine for the rest of the day. It is the first drone of the day that kills me.

-jason

Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3443 is a reply to message #3438] Mon, 26 June 2006 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason,

I actually have a similar problem with playing on my right side. While circular breathing, I find it natural now to continue my drown without any breaks. But whilst playing with my right side I find that I can't continue the drown while breathing in; thus being the reason for my preferance with the middle.

I agree with you fully about the sound being clearer and more crisp from the side though. I find that my tounge roll's from the side are very nice.
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #4727 is a reply to message #3405] Wed, 28 March 2007 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mchlbhm is currently offline  mchlbhm
I couldn't vote. I play one the left or right, but can't do anything on the center. Right now I'm playing on the right as its easier to play while I'm reading the forums. Yeah, I've got it bad. Even play it in the bath. Laughing
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #4730 is a reply to message #3405] Thu, 29 March 2007 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taxus is currently offline  Taxus
Left sider here.... Cool
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #4732 is a reply to message #4730] Thu, 29 March 2007 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan is currently offline  Allan
Left side for me also
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #4735 is a reply to message #3405] Thu, 29 March 2007 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ozmadman is currently offline  ozmadman
Smack bang down the centre for me!!! can also play well on the left but don't

Breathe and chill then your didge will sound brill

Check it out!!

OZMADMAN
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #4740 is a reply to message #4735] Fri, 30 March 2007 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulb is currently offline  paulb
I have moved to the center after starting with the right side.

Paul

In beautiful Rimrock, Arizona
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #4743 is a reply to message #4740] Fri, 30 March 2007 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bazza is currently offline  Bazza
I play on the Right and have tried to move to center,but have no success at all. Confused I'm wondering If my having Dentures,might be a reason. Would like to hear back from anyone with dentures who has managed this transition.
Cheers

* I've Found a Way to Relax and Play.*
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #4852 is a reply to message #4743] Fri, 18 May 2007 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonnymonument is currently offline  jonnymonument
I play centre. can't get a note out of it at all when I play side on. I used to play trombone, so that's probably why!
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #5012 is a reply to message #4852] Mon, 22 October 2007 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Coen is currently offline  Coen
Play slightly to the right side. Don't play so much with the toot, so the neighbors won't riot against my playing. Play a lot with my tongue aswell. I'm amazed to read that playing on the side is good for the tongue-technique. Trying to figure out why this could be.

But, I'm happy to play on the side, until proven differently. Razz

Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #5061 is a reply to message #3405] Thu, 08 November 2007 18:39 Go to previous message
kocher is currently offline  kocher

I used to play the trombone this is much easier . However, the wax mouth piece must be very circular and level Kewel Laughing
Previous Topic: feeling winded
Next Topic: Vocals HELP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 10:32:43 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09755 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.