Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Sound Healing » Mark Atkin's on Healing
Re: Mark Atkin's on Healing [message #2548 is a reply to message #2535] Fri, 13 January 2006 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shayne is currently offline  Shayne
The issue of new age didj healing and the representation Traditional Australian aboriginal religiosity extends further than this particular context. It brings to mind the ethical issues surrounding the popularization of the didj and its use in global context. A lot of the time we, as non-aboriginal didj players, don't realize the extent to which the popularization of the instrument bastardizes the perception of the Westernized layperson about trad Aborigines culture. In the case of didj healing, new age movements have naturally evolved to reinvent religious practices, like the American Indian Sweat Lodge and didj Healing. Considering this, I'm curious to hear how Mark Atkin's would repond to the following questions.

1. How do traditional Australian aboriginal's percieve New Age movements, like didj healing and the reinventive mixing of different religious traditions (American Indian and Australian aboriginal, for instance), which may not even contain any actual qualities of the drawn upon tradition's?

2. How can New Age movements like the given avoid leaving a cultural mess of traditional Aborigine culture if it is even possible to avoid?

3. What is your personal view on didj healing and all other New Age movements associated with the didj?

I found an interesting article on the net called "Appropriating the didjeridu and the Sweat Lodge: New Age Baddies and Indigenous Victims?" by Christina Welch. Here is the link: http://www.wlu.ca/documents/6482/Appropriating_the_Did.pdf

Thats all I have for now, maybe in a few days I'll post again. I am doing an independant study on this issue in University and so i was also wondering if Mark Atkin's would mind if I quoted him in the interview to be conducted?

-shayne

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Didj healing philosophy
Next Topic: Syncronised didj healing for Bonzo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:52:26 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05439 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.