Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Sound Healing » Mark Atkin's on Healing
Re: Mark Atkin's on Healing [message #2901 is a reply to message #2352] Wed, 01 March 2006 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Equality is currently offline  Equality
Hi Shayne,

New to this forum and its culture, I read your post and will take a shot at making a response from my viewpoint.

The "umbrella" principle I follow is to respect the right of every person to their beliefs and choices, and be true to mine.

I feel there is no right or wrong side of this issue, and simply appreciate the diversity that comes with varying viewpoints.

People who are deeply into cultural traditions sometimes become narrow and fixed in their perspectives, making the tradition all-important. I respect their right to that viewpoint, but am not attracted to it. I love to respect and appreciate the uniqueness of each culture without making any one of them special above another. And it is great when people want to preserve the purity of cultural traditions. But when that energy becomes possessive or exclusive, it is not useful, in my eyes, for spiritual growth or evolution of any kind.

On the other hand, it is understandable that people who value the integrity of a cultural tradition would be upset by those who make claims that use the tradition in a self-serving way. Such abuse can be disrespectful or ignorant. There is room for education.

What seems to me an attractive middle way is what I hear you propose. That is, a non-aboriginal using the traditional instrument without claims of connection to the culture, to go beyond traditions.

My life partner and I are energy healers, and enjoy playing with the didgeridoo as an instrument for healing -- for relaxing and melting into oneness. To this time, we have done this only between the two of us. We are considering offering it with other aspects of energy healing and would not presume to call it "Australian Aborigine Healing." Well, I can see that just using the term "didgeridoo" ties it to the culture. I could call it a eucalyptus stick, and feel that no one owns a trademark on blowing air through a tube. I prefer, however, to honor the culture by acknowledging the role it has played in developing the human relationship with the instrument to this day. If such use of the didj would be offensive to anyone, I would enjoy to gain an understanding of that perspective.

Warmly,
Gary

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Didj healing philosophy
Next Topic: Syncronised didj healing for Bonzo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:56:27 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02517 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.