Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Sound Healing » Sound healing novice
Re: Sound healing novice [message #4030 is a reply to message #4024] Thu, 26 October 2006 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Quote:

should we just ignore that our fellow didj players are appropriating the instrument as such? or should we talk about it in attempt to understand the various ways people of the non-aboriginal world use the instrument?

Here's my two cents: the cat is out of the bag, as it is. The didjeridu has moved far from Arnhemland and is definitely used in ways far removed from its ceremonial context, and trying to take it back to some mythic past is unreasonable and impossible. The counterculture movement- including 'new agers'- has 'appropriated' the didj and shaped into what they would consider a 'vehicle for higher consciousness', a meditational tool, etc. And somehow there are elements of the global didj community that sees the drone of the didj as some Universal voice for all humanity. Cultures borrow elements from one another all the time, sometimes out of respect and other times out of selfishness and exploitation.

I have a great passion for Aboriginal culture and traditional styles of play, and I can see how these discussions about the non-Aboriginal use of the instrument can be useful discussions but I think there is also great potential for misinformation and negativity. I don't subscribe to notions of 'sound healing'- because the science is just starting and I view from the position of a skeptical agnostic.

On the subject of the counterculture and the didj- the book 'Didjeridu: From Arnhemland to Internet' contains a chapter about this community's use of didj and levels of appropriation. I would try and find a copy if you're interested in a more scholarly view of the subcultures of the global didj community as well as more of an investigation into the origins of the instrument. In the interest of civility, discussions about less savory aspects of the global didj community should be probably be kepy private between members and off the public forum.

Jason

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Syncronised didj healing for Bonzo
Next Topic: Migrane Therapy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:39:55 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02660 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.