Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » General Didj Issues » Is website linking to competitors needed?
Re: Is website linking to competitors needed? [message #2237 is a reply to message #2205] Mon, 12 December 2005 19:12 Go to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Svargo:

Many thanks for your patience with us as we debate this question. I believe we have indeed come to a satisfactory conclusion:

1) Caveat emptor- buyer beware. One way that each of us can ensure that Aboriginal artists are paid their dues as artists and custodians of their culture is to support merchants who share our philosophies. For me, that means trusting one of several importers that I know- who purchase directly from the artists to bring them stateside and introduce their art/craftsmanship to people who genuinely appreciate it. In my quest for Yolngu yidaki, I have contacted art centres in NEAL directly. These are Yolngu artisans and yidakimirr who feel compelled to share their culture through their music and their crafts. That I will always support as a collector and as a player.

2) An understanding that non-traditional craftsmen do exist, not to coopt Aboriginal cultural assets, but to do something to contribute to the worldwide didj community. As a player, I have great respect for the culture that brought the didjeridu to me, and my way of respecting that is by buying Aboriginal crafts directly if I can, or through a respected dealer. These crafters/players that I have mentioned earlier have made their mark on the international didj community through their pieces, and that can only be good, because it shows an ethical growth in the market. Their instruments draw inspiration from the Aboriginal instrument makers, but are unique in their choice of material and sonic character. These importers DO return a profit to the Aboriginal artists through their good business relationships with their suppliers, and I that I can say confidently and without hesitation.

3) An understanding that less scrupulous dealers/merchants exist, and it is our responsibility to educate and not support their efforts if it means a breakdown in traditional Aboriginal culture. It is my understanding that cheap souvenier grade didjs run particularly rampant in Australia, as the market struggles to keep up with demand. This abuse will lose steam, but only through education. If we are to change the market, we have to understand what brought about its downward slide in the first place-- greed and capitalism.

4) To continue thoughtful and sensitive discussion on these matters.

I will close with one final thought provoking question-- would you consider any of the art centres across the NT as being antagonistic competitors to your endeavor, or as partners in your mission to support Aboriginal artists? I hope that you will treat them as the latter.

Best,
Jason

Jason

[Updated on: Tue, 13 December 2005 14:21] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Previous Topic: Didj cave painting?
Next Topic: Recording Didge Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 08:54:51 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06384 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.