Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » General Didj Issues » Health of the didjeridu market
Re: Health of the didjeridu market [message #2298 is a reply to message #2290] Fri, 16 December 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
in_didgi_nas is currently offline  in_didgi_nas
Do you think that the didjeridu industry has grown too quickly, with tourist grade instruments flooding the market?

I would hope that traditionally made instrument would not be sold like key chains at the souvenier shop. But education and honesty in the marketplace (yeah,right Evil or Very Mad) are crucial to aid the buyer in making the appropriate purchase. I would think that those serious enough to seek out an authentic traditionally made didgeridoo would be able to navigate the knockoffs to reach the real thing. But that may be ignorance on my part. I think that so long as the traditional custodians have a trustworthy representative (Didjshop and the like) then the market can say and do as they will,so that those that are respectful of the instrument and its traditions can find them. Items of quality and good reputation will always be copied and sold deceivingly. We need to be sure that as we expose others to the didgeridoo that we also educate them to the dangers in the marketplace today.

Can we reconcile the traditional place of the instrument with the new movement toward performance-based instruments?

I think that this relates to the evolution of all musical types. Just as Blues gave birth to modern rock and roll. The current surge in didgeridoo playing is going to expand its role. Following the same example, there are always modern musician "going back" ,so to speak, to roots and older style blues playing. There will always be a place for traditional instruments and playing styles. One can reference the recent resurgence of bluegrass music to site an example. I don't see them as divergent paths. Instead they are intertwined that allows for innovation and expansive growth while at the same time perpetually reconnects itself to the past traditions as a source of inspiration.

As a modern player, do you feel eucalyptus best suits your style?

As a visual artist by training and trade, I understand the power a new medium has on the creative person. When I draw with charcoal, I express myself in acompletely different way than I would with pen/ink, or with paint. Every didj that I have allows me to express my self differently, due to its unique qualities. To answer the question, yes eucalyptus suits my playing stlye, because I play with a different style on it thatn with a hardwood or and agave.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Recording Didge Music
Next Topic: Recording setup?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 12:31:56 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08282 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.