Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » General Didj Issues » Health of the didjeridu market
Re: Health of the didjeridu market [message #2334 is a reply to message #2290] Tue, 20 December 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Daz:

Great comments!

Quote:

Well the people that buy tourist didges/rubbish immitations will hopefully fall in love with the instrument, do some research and find what they are playing on is crap, they will then realise that they have to buy a new quality stick from a reputable dealer like our hosts in order to improve.

I think this is the natural progression for most of us. I learned on a straight PVC pipe, and that was enough to build the fascination to the point that I was looking for more well-constructed and responsive instruments. And for some players, the resonance of plastics resonates with them. For me, it doesn't Crying or Very Sad It's too hollow and artificial for my tastes. I really like the analogy that you provided with photography-- I work in the industry and I find traditional film to be much warmer and deeper than digital. There will always be a run back to the roots--- take the two of us as an example. We've both got an interest in NEAL style playing, and have recognized the value of a good traditional stick. I've played Yolngu-style on my contemporary sticks, but they lack the dirty tone of a yidaki Smile

Quote:

I don't know why we need to, there is a place for both.

Agreed. There is very much a place for both styles, but the return to the roots signifies, to me, a recognition that the didjeridu is much more than a musical instrument, but an object with very deep cultural importance. The huge international interest in the Garma festival is testimony to that.

I love eucalyptus and the depth of the acoustics that it provides!

Jason

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Recording Didge Music
Next Topic: Recording setup?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 09:19:40 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.37324 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.