Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » General Didj Issues » Health of the didjeridu market
Re: Health of the didjeridu market [message #2533 is a reply to message #2290] Tue, 10 January 2006 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Svargo is currently offline  Svargo
In my opinion the grading system by Guam Lin as desribed in Jason's post seems to be tailored for promoting NT didjes but is too limited and leaves too many loopholes and unclarities. Here are some actual real life scenarios I can think of right now which are ignored by that system:

- Didjes which are cut in Australia (some by Aboriginal workers), exported to Indonesia (or elsewhere) and made and painted there (some of which are re-imported and sold to tourists as 'genuine Aboriginal didgeridoos')
- Didjes which are cut and/or made by an Aborigine but painted by a non-Aboriginal person
- Didjes which are cut by one Aborigine, made by another and painted by yet another (one of whom might be a traditional custodian)
- Didjes which are cut and/or made by an Aborigine or a non-Aborigine but sold as the product of a traditional custodian with or without that custodians knowledge
- Didjes which are made overseas from different materials but imported and painted by an Aboriginal person in Autralia

For Jason and those who do not yet know, we have suggested a simple labelling system for all Aboriginal arts and crafts because the problem is obviously not confined to didgeridoos. Please see
http://www.didjshop.com/Aboriginal_Art/aboriginal_art_labell ing.html

Despite this system being designed for Australian legislation, it can easily be adapted and used overseas.
For didjes I would suggest to also add the material used to the label (eg Indonesian teak or termite hollowed eucalyptus etc). We kept this out of our suggested labelling legislation to keep things as simple as possible.

I hope we can all agree that the deception going on in the didj and Aboriginal art industry is a real problem and there is a need for a classification/labelling system.-

I welcome comments on our labelling proposal

Svargo
Manager
Didjshop.com

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Recording Didge Music
Next Topic: Recording setup?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 08:57:06 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05072 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.