Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » General Didj Issues » Health of the didjeridu market
Re: Health of the didjeridu market [message #2537 is a reply to message #2533] Wed, 11 January 2006 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Svargo,

I'm happy that you chimed in on this discussion and it's good to see a seller's perspective on the industry and the market in general.

"Like the boomerang, the didjeridu has become an iconic symbol for a national Aboriginal identity in contemporary Australia. There are many distinct tribes, languages and cultures in Indigenous Australia, however, with only the Aboriginal groups in northern Australia possessing the didjeridu as a part of their ancestral cultural heritage. "-(c) Guan Lin

This is a controversial subject, but let me comment. I feel qualified to do so as a degree-holder in cultural theory and criticism:

Indigenous cultures that have been exploited often rally around a single object that suggests a national identity, something that they can call their own when other things have been taken away from them. Such is the case with the didjeridu. It is an iconic symbol and distinctively Australian. This is not an intentional action, but one that arises out of circumstance and feelings of national pride and identity. In the US, Native American youth have a new interest in their traditional ways and beliefs as a way of reclaiming their identities.

While Guan's developed grading scales does largely have NT instruments in mind, that comes about from anthropological/ethnomusicological study and a matter of historical fact. I hestitate to call it 'promoting' them though-- for Guan and many others who study NEAL-style playing(myself included), it's a passion for both the instrument as a musical instrument and a ceremonial object. Most consider the NT to be the epicenter of the didj, which slowly moved to other parts of Australia as groups intermingled, so Yolngu will always be the traditional custodians of the instrument. Studies have shown that the didjeridu made it into Queensland sometime in the 1800's and Western Australia sometime in the mid 1960s. This is not to devalue other Aboriginal groups and their connection with the didgeridoo (which many certainly have) but to give a reference point.

It is sad that capitalism has grabbed hold of the didj and that unscrupulous dealers have recognized the potential to make a quick buck; a few comments:

Quote:

Didjes which are cut by one Aborigine, made by another and painted by yet another (one of whom might be a traditional custodian)

I don't necessarily consider this to be a problem; in fact, Djalu and his family often does this. He will harvest and craft, and often a member of his family will paint. There is certainly potential for abuse, and it's really unfortunate that it happens. I think that your location in Kuranda and its popularity as a tourist location gives you a perspective that I and others on the forum don't have. Less ethical sellers have recognized the international appeal of the didj and are moving in to gain financially from it.

Quote:

Didjes which are cut and/or made by an Aborigine or a non-Aborigine but sold as the product of a traditional custodian with or without that custodians knowledge

Now this ruffles my feathers, and again, it's a case of making money at the expense of cultural assets, not out of a love and appreciation of the culture. Even worse when Aborigines are forced by circumstance to participate in clear-cutting operations that is both detrimental to the ecosystem and irresponsible; they may not like what is happening, but they need the money. Ever read "The Didgeridoo Phenomenon"? There are a number of interesting perspectives on the transforming market.

Ultimately, I think it is a case of caveat emptor- buyer beware. Anyone who develops a serious interest in playing will be able to separate the heart from the chaff, to speak poetically. In other words, differentiating serious instruments from tourist models. As in any market, there will be high quality goods and lesser quality items, and the best that we can do is educate ourselves and not support questionable suppliers with either our attention or our wallets.

Best,
Jason

Jason

[Updated on: Wed, 11 January 2006 19:03]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Recording Didge Music
Next Topic: Recording setup?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 07:44:58 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.37407 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.