Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » General Didj Issues » Health of the didjeridu market
Re: Health of the didjeridu market [message #2862 is a reply to message #2290] Thu, 23 February 2006 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RawFoodGuy is currently offline  RawFoodGuy
Hi

I guess like everyone here, I have strong feelings about honoring and respecting aboriginal cultures. However, my experience of being with indigenous people in general is how much respect they show for other cultures, irregardless of how those other cultures respect them! One medicine man I knew remarked that his job is to protect the trees, flowers, mountains, etc...as well as to protect, and teach, the white people who have been destroying these resources.

You can't enforce respect. It has to come from within. For example, I was once part of a spontaneous meeting with several Hopi spiritual leaders who were concerned about the disrectful use of their sacred sites. All kinds of white people were flocking to Hopi sacred sites, and in their uneducated ways trying to show respect by leaving their own sacred object, feathers and corn starch behind. Unfortunately, a lack of understanding made these acts disresepctful, because (a) in Hopi tradition only certain clans are empowered to make some of these objects and (b) rare, tediously gathered corn pollen used ceremonially is not the same thing as corn starch, but these folks didn't know the difference.

Respect can however be taught. So I am all for education...the world needs to be educated about aboriginal culture and hopefully that will lead to being more respectful. In lieu of that inner respect, I dont think anyone can judge, least of all non-aboriginals, There will be attempts to capitalize on aboriginal culture, and stopping it is a bit like trying to get people not to download mp3's....as soon as they create a copy protection scheme, someone breaks it. If you label didj's for authenticity, someone will counterfeit the label. However, if you educate people, it will be hard to fool them since there is a huge and obvious difference between the real thing and the wannabees.

But the discussion of these issues is important...more important than coming up with an easy answer.

RawFoodGuy
Didgin' Again!

Bob Ross
AIM: RawFoodGuy
Email: Robert@RawFoodLife.com

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Recording Didge Music
Next Topic: Recording setup?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 11:37:04 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02564 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.