Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » General Didj Issues » Health of the didjeridu market
Re: Health of the didjeridu market [message #2877 is a reply to message #2862] Sat, 25 February 2006 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Quote:

What's wrong with a propper termite hollowed euca didge which has not entirely been made by the aboriginal people, does it not play just as good? As long as people pay a decend amound for the (termite hollowed) wood and then make a didge out of it themselfs and sell it as an real eucalyptish didge what's wrong with that?

Well, this is a complex question, so there's no easy answer:

The didgeridoo has become an immensely popular instrument in recent years, and that means that all levels of production are now involved. To begin, most of the creative work in creating a didgeridoo has been done by the action of termites, so some may argue that it doesn't matter who cuts the stick and finishes it. The real issue is the WAY that these sticks are harvested. The traditional manner of harvest is environmentally responsible and sustainable because of the relative few sticks that are taken. It's hard work and euc logs are heavy! If you have to shoulder the log and carry it, would you cut two or twenty at a time Smile Commercial cutters can clear cut a eucalyptus stand completely and there isn't much care in the degree of 'hollowness'-- they can always be further hollowed in a workshop, especially when there are orders to be filled....see what's happening here?

It's not that these instruments will not play as good, they will just play differently...modern didge makers are crafting instruments for more contemporary players, not traditional players, so the bores tend to be more open and the sound fatter and bassier, because that's what more modern players seek. An 'excellent' modern didgeridoo made by, say, Bruce R. and Nathan B. (both white fellas)- which are AMAZING eucalyptus instruments, btw, are likely not what Djalu' and family would consider an 'excellent' instrument by Yolngu standards- we're seeking different acoustic properties and didgeridoo sound quality is very subjective. They're all 'good' in different ways. I like the gritty, gravelly 'dirty' sound of a yirdaki, so I try to seek out instruments that sound that way. More contemporary euc didges i.e Bruce and Nathan and others simply respond to different playing techniques, so I won't call either one 'better' than the other. This being said, there are certainly termited-hollowed instruments with poorer sound characteristics that wouldn't make the cut on any level and become 'souvenirs'.

The fact that non-Aboriginal peoples are making/selling termite- hollowed eucalyptus didjs is not the problem per se, but when these non-Aboriginal peoples paint didjs in sacred design (i.e Galpu clan design bands and Wititj and raark)to pass them off as 'Aboriginal art', because labeling them as such will likely bring a higher price when the didj is sold. If you've found the "Didgeridoo Phenomenon", there are a couple of chapters that eloquently discuss this very issue in great detail (far better than I can myself).

Best,
Jason

Jason,

Please remember the Didjshop policy against naming competitors in such a way that they can be easily Googled. I believe you have heard of this before.

Paul

Jason

[Updated on: Sat, 25 February 2006 21:24] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Recording Didge Music
Next Topic: Recording setup?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 10:59:15 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05059 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.