Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Aboriginal Issues » Upcoming DVD project from Film Australia
Upcoming DVD project from Film Australia [message #2896] Tue, 28 February 2006 10:07
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
For those of you interested in Aboriginal culture:

There is a set of DVDs in production from Film Australia of Djungguwan ceremony; the two-disc set will feature archival footage from ceremony at Yirrkala from 1966, 1976, and 2002. Made in collaboration with the Yirrkala Dhanbul Community Association and the Rirratjingu Association. If you search "Yirrkala" at the Film Australia site, you will see a brief description of this upcoming project.

The 1979 Yirrkala Film Project (a collection of 22 short films on Yolngu) is also available through Film Australia.

At the Canoe Camp, Narritjin at Djarrakpi - Part Two, Narritjin at Djarrakpi - Part One, Narritjin in Canberra, My Country, Djarrakpi, We are the Landowner...That's Why We're Here, One Man's Response, We Believe in It...We Know It's True, Djungguwan at Gurka'wuy, In Memory of Mawalan, Conversations with Dundiwuy Wanambi, Pain for This Land, Dundiwuy's House Opening, Purification Ceremony - Caledon Bay 1971, From A Long Time Ago - Hollow Log Painting, This Is My Thinking, Singing in the Rain - Yirrkala in 1974, Hard Time Now...About the Children, Dhapi Ceremony at Yirrkala - 1972, Baniyala - 1974, Marrakulu Funeral - Yirrkala 1974, Madarrpa Funeral at Gurka'wuy

From the Film Australia site: "Yirrkala was an isolated mission station until the coming of a huge bauxite mine in the late 1960s. The impact of the mine on the Yolngu, the Aboriginal people of northeast Arnhem Land, and their response is a major theme of this long-term film project. Twenty two films document many aspects of Yolngu life. Each stands on its own but each is also part of a rich mosaic. The relationship between people and their clans, ritual, art and land is an intertwining theme. Several major ceremonies are documented. The importance of the land is ever present. Despite enormous disruption to their lives, the resilience of the Yolngu and their culture shines through."

It is my understanding that the Djungguwan project was initiated and approved by Yolngu leaders, so there is a great deal of knowledge to be gleaned from these....

Jason

Read Message
Previous Topic: Christmas
Next Topic: Cultural matters- didj in FNQ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 01:08:44 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.15863 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.