Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Learning to Play » Mouth Position(poll)
Re: Mouth Position(poll) [message #3431 is a reply to message #3425] Sun, 25 June 2006 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Quote:

Is it a matter of experience to get the frontal style as articulate.

I think so, but it's also a matter of individual preference and physiological differences as well. As I've mentioned here on the board, I am very interested in, and study closely, traditional playing techniques and styles. Most of the literature and films available show traditional yidaki players, especially Galpu, playing nearly spot-on center. I believe that a straight on embouchure properly strengthened can produce all the crispness that you are after, and only time will tell. I will say, that moving from center to side was an adjustment-- my tones were flabby and I felt like I was starting over again as a beginner. In many ways, that's true: I was learning new articulations/syllables and timing, rhythms and techniques, so it was very foreign to me. With this being said, will I ever play spot-on center? Probably not. My teeth prevent that a little bit, and heck, even Djalu plays a little off to the left (for a DVD of Galpu ceremony, check out Yidaki Festa 2005- Djalu playing yidaki, his brother Gurritjiri singing manikay, grandson Sylvester (Liyakandirr) and wife Dopiya dancing).

But there is a caveat: this instrument is very much about self-exploration and diatribes about technique will only take you so far. As friends have commented on other boards: it's interesting how we Balanda obsess about technique, and Yolngu just do it!

Jason

[Updated on: Sun, 25 June 2006 20:08]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon3.gif
Read Message icon3.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: feeling winded
Next Topic: Vocals HELP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 11:31:25 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04811 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.