Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Maintenance and Repair » My didg stinks !
Re: My didg stinks ! [message #4130 is a reply to message #4129] Fri, 10 November 2006 20:10 Go to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Quote:

So in making a PVC Didj, the dimples you put in there and the creases are pretty much a hit or miss on how it affects the overall tone then?

Well, I'm not a crafter by any means, so my comments on tonal quality will be general at best. The largest determinant is the sound of a didj (of any material) is its length. The longer the 'tube', the lower the pitch. In order to sound a drone, the vibration of the lips will set off a sound wave which will be amplified through the length of the instrument. The tone colors and harmonics will be influenced by the internal shape of the bore, and each stick will sound differently as the individual shape of the bore will be distinctive and unique. Sometimes the sound is distinctive, other times very subtle. Only by playing lots of didges will you develop an ear for the subtleties. There are some amazingly complex physics at play, and I understand them only at a superficial level. A simple Google search for 'physics of the didgeridoo' is bound to yield some interesting results. The book 'Didgeridoo Phenomenon' has some in-depth discussion about the physics at work.

The major creative force behind a traditionally cut instrument are the termites, and one can imagine the variables-- slightly different termite species, varying densities of eucalyptus in an area, the physical shape of the trunk. Accomplished yidaki craftsmen in Arnhem Land both seek out trunks according to their own cultural preferences for a certain sound, as well as knowledge through time to identify a sufficiently hollowed tree from a stand of trees.

Jason

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Didj Seal
Next Topic: what kind of wax for my mouthpiece???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 01:08:34 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.21022 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.