Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Aboriginal Issues » Cultural matters- didj in FNQ
Cultural matters- didj in FNQ [message #4421] Tue, 19 December 2006 07:49 Go to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
From a personal correspondance with Guan Lim:

Have you seen this clip, filmed in 1966 in Far North Queensland?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L08e91HxX-w

There is no didgeridoo in it. However, if you see modern Aboriginal dance troupes from FNQ, they dance in a similar style (variously known as "shake-a-leg" style) but WITH didgeridoo. It goes to show that even in 1966, Aboriginal people in FNQ were not using the didgeridoo. A now Professor in Linguistics here in Melbourne, Prof. Bob Dixon, did his doctoral research in FNQ many decades ago and I've read his book on his field work which spanned several years. No mention of didgeridoo.

A cultural education agency/cultural hub in Australia is offering a $500 reward to anyone who can provide verifiable evidence that the didgeridoo is endemic to FNQ and that Aboriginal people have used it in their ceremonies since time immemorial. This is a bonafide reward, and part of a cultural education project being spearheaded by that group.

If you wish to make a submission, you may do so to me directly off forum. My email is hyperlinked in my signature line.

Jason

[Updated on: Tue, 19 December 2006 12:39]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Upcoming DVD project from Film Australia
Next Topic: exploitation of Aboriginal culture for economic purposes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:45:22 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07275 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.