Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Aboriginal Issues » exploitation of Aboriginal culture for economic purposes
Re: exploitation of Aboriginal culture for economic purposes [message #4440 is a reply to message #4434] Wed, 20 December 2006 12:40 Go to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Quote:

3.I spoke to some of my friends from my old school in Australia (I was an exchange student)and I was shocked of the way they spoke about the situation of Indigenous Australians in white Australian society. Most believed it was their own fault. Frankly, they saw them as lazy alcoholics who live on welfare. What do you believe are the most crucial factors of their present situation? Is it discrimination? The welfare system? A viscous circle of a variety of socio-economic factors? The loss of culture which was a consequence of Australian policy over the past century? ...?

I suggest that you read Richard Trudgen's "Djambatj Mala: Why Warriors Lie Down and Die" for understanding this complex issue. To synopsize, Trudgen argues that the ignorance of the dominant culture in Australia in even attempting to understand he systems of belief of various indigenous peoples is the very heart of the present condition. Trudgen talks specifically about Yolngu, as he lived and worked in Arnhemland for a number of years. I recommend this book frequently.

Jason

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Cultural matters- didj in FNQ
Next Topic: Stories from the Source- Yirrkala Dhawu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:44:32 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07249 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.