Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Aboriginal Issues » exploitation of Aboriginal culture for economic purposes
exploitation of Aboriginal culture for economic purposes [message #4434] Tue, 19 December 2006 14:26 Go to previous message
TomTom is currently offline  TomTom
Hi everybody,

my name is Thomas, I'm from Germany and I'm working on an essay on "the exploitation of Aboriginal culture for economic purposes" (please note: it particularly concentrates on culture, not labour force, etc). Unfortunately, when I was in Australia about 2 years ago, I didn't learn alot about Indiginous Australians' culture. But now that I've read several books on the topic I'm find it extremely interesting and at times shocking what Idigenous people have undergone in the past centuries.

I was hoping, that maybe some of you can help me a little with my essay since I find it relatively difficult to find any sources directly related to the exploitation of culture. I'd be most interested in 3 questions:

1. What was the influence of the 2000 Olympics on the way Indiginous culture is looked upon? Was it rather positive or negative?
I read an inquiry where it said that, before the Olympics only about 60% of all Australians thought that Aboriginal culture was an essential aspect of modern Australia. After the Olympics that figure rose to 94%. Does this draw an accurate picture of the situation or is this number only an expression of the euphoria at the time?

2. How big is the issue of exploitation of Aboriginal culture through non-Aboriginal businessmen? Are there any specific cases I should have a look at? And who makes up the biggest part of the industry? Genuine Aboriginal artists or bugos imitations selling merchants? How big is the damage that is done to Indigenous people through the exploitation of there culture?

3.I spoke to some of my friends from my old school in Australia (I was an exchange student)and I was shocked of the way they spoke about the situation of Indigenous Australians in white Australian society. Most believed it was their own fault. Frankly, they saw them as lazy alcoholics who live on welfare. What do you believe are the most crucial factors of their present situation? Is it discrimination? The welfare system? A viscous circle of a variety of socio-economic factors? The loss of culture which was a consequence of Australian policy over the past century? ...?

The essay is due on January 26th 2007 so I'd be glad if any of you could let me know about what's the situation of Indigenous artists in Australia at the moment. If you can't make it till that date or if you read this too late, I'm also personally very interested in the topic so don't bother about the date, I'm always happy to expand my horizon!! Wink

thanks in advance,

bye, Thomas

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Cultural matters- didj in FNQ
Next Topic: Stories from the Source- Yirrkala Dhawu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:37:46 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04627 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.