Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Maintenance and Repair » Yidaki repair
icon6.gif  Yidaki repair [message #4683] Mon, 19 March 2007 19:11 Go to previous message
ozmadman is currently offline  ozmadman
Hi

I recently bought a vintage Mornington Island Yidaki c1970. It has a small split towards the bottom end and a knot hole about a third of the way down, here's how I repaired it. As you can see from the picture the hole is quite large. I was going to make a wood filler piece but the hole tapered away on the inside so there was nothing to attach it to. I decided to use epoxy resin and wood shavings. I stained the wood shavings a walnut colour to make the repair less obvious. I then stuffed bubble wrap into the hole leaving a recess about 3/8 inch deep to allow a decent thickness of filler. I mixed the epoxy with the shavings (quite alot of them to make it look a bit like wood) and half filled the hole. after about 10 minutes once it had started to set I used a long piece of dowelling to push the bubble wrap out of the , finally filling in the rest to the level of the rest of the didge( any excess was caerfully cut off whilst still half set). I did he same for the split which I had to widen a bit to get the filler in, this time using an inflated cycle inner tube to block off the split from the inside.
it turned out really well, I gave it a good polish and it plays great. PLEASE SEE NEXT POSTING AS I MESSED UP THE PICTURES
Paul,

I couldn't delete it because it was the first post in the topic and would have deleted the entire string. Did remove the photo, though.

PaulB

Breathe and chill then your didge will sound brill

Check it out!!

OZMADMAN

Read Message icon6.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Is this normal?
Next Topic: Didj Dribble...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 00:39:11 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.29650 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.