Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Maintenance and Repair » cracking, humidity etc.
Re: cracking, humidity etc. [message #4971 is a reply to message #4964] Tue, 21 August 2007 15:38 Go to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Let me follow up by saying that while I have encountered some 'collections' in extreme humidity/temperature controlled environments, I find such measures a bit superfluous to my tastes. Unsealed trad sticks are most susceptible to cracking soon after importation, where they are moved from areas of high humidity like coastal Arnhem Land into the cold, dry hold of a plane for a long distance. Hairline cracks might develop but these settle as the wood adjusts to the humidity of its new environment. I find that playing for a few minutes a day over the course of a week or so allows the wood time to adjust and not develop too great a differential in humidity between the exterior and interior of the bore and putting undue tension on the timber itself. A little restraint and common sense over the first few weeks can save a lot of grief later!

Jason

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Didj Dribble...
Next Topic: what humidifier?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 01:09:09 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.18774 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.