Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Advanced Playing » Emu sound. How to make it?
icon9.gif  Emu sound. How to make it? [message #5056] Wed, 07 November 2007 03:30 Go to previous message
mickdidge is currently offline  mickdidge
Hi folks!

I can make a toot on the didge. Sustained ones, as well as the short rhytmic ones that you 'spit out'.

In a few recordings and a live-performance i attended lately i heard a real live-like emu sound. Not a trumpet/toot sound, but a clear low pitched WHOOP WHOOP, or DOOP DOOP, sound that doesn't appear to stop the drone while played.
It might be so short and powerfull that the sound sustains a bit longer than it's actually played, so that the shift to/from the drone is just not heard. I cannot figure it out.

Once i had a little explaination about dup, hup, tup overtones but I cannot grasp the essence of the differences. (or play them all) Sad

I hope someone can put me on the right track with some explaination or some additional exercises for the different overtones. Especially the Emu-WHOOP mentioned above.

addition d.d. 11-11-2007
Google for '"arnhem land band" + Emu' for a pretty good example of the sound.
Confused Just heard from someone it's done with a 'belly toot'. Confused

Play on folks,

Mike

[Updated on: Mon, 12 November 2007 09:59]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message icon9.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: yolngu playing style
Next Topic: Need your Judgment please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 19:11:20 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02402 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.