Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Aboriginal Issues » Aboriginal costume--disrespectful? if not, ideas?
Aboriginal costume--disrespectful? if not, ideas? [message #5383] Thu, 23 October 2008 23:49 Go to previous message
Tresch is currently offline  Tresch
Hello! I've been an amateur didjeridu player for several years, now, and I really enjoy showing the instrument to new people and telling them a thing or two about where it comes from. I have purchased a didj from this site, and I absolutely love it, as does anyone who is willing to listen to me drone on.

I've been invited to a party in a couple weeks that will be outdoors. Several people are bringing musical instruments, and so I am bringing my didj (as well as some PVC ones) and a drum. Another attendee will be bringing a PVC didj as well.

The catch is this: Costumes are not required for the party, but they are very encouraged. I thought that, since I'm going to be bringing a proper didjeridu, that maybe I could dress the part as well!

My first and primary concern--as I'm not yet an expert on Aboriginal culture--is to not do anything that might be considered offensive or disrespectful, as I am very much a "White American" and not in any way Aboriginal, unless you count the fact that I play the didj. So I want to make sure that, if I'm wearing a ceremonial aboriginial outfit, I'm not wearing a particular outfit that would be disrespectful in any way!

Other than that, I'm just looking for ideas. For practicalities sake, I'd like to keep it simple, but I'd like to be at least mostly visually authentic. Furthermore, if there's any resources out there regarding the history and meaning of the dress, that would be good, too, because I'm sure people will ask questions at the party, if I go through with it, and I'd like to be able to provide some useful information.

The imagery that I tend to see online most is a red loincloth and headband, and lots of white body paint. This would be a very simple outfit to do on short notice, which would be great, but, again, I want to make sure I don't completely have the wrong idea, or leave out something crucial to the dress.

Sorry for the long post, but I don't do costumes that often, and, if this is possible, I'd like to do it right! I'd like to reiterate that my intentions are entirely respectful, and my goal is not to exploit the aboriginal image, but instead to provide a somewhat-authentic experience and maybe spread some knowledge about the culture.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Who and Where?? Any ideas???
Next Topic: Stolen Generations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 00:43:16 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.27370 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.