Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Aboriginal Issues » respect for aboriginal people
Re: respect for aboriginal people [message #2033 is a reply to message #913] Wed, 30 November 2005 14:56 Go to previous message
JKon380 is currently offline  JKon380
Let me begin by saying that I am not an expert on Aboriginal culture or customs, but I believe that it is a respect for the dead that their name not appear in print after they have passed, or at least for a period of time reflecting the person's status i.e. the more famous, the longer the time frame.

The Dreaming references the spirits of the dead must be returned to their place. A common characteristic of Aboriginal groups is their similar belief systems which are called the Dreaming. The Dreaming may be thought of as a religious system but this does not always convey its true merits. However in a way it is accurate, as Aboriginal people received a sense of enlightenment through visions and dreams. They do not like words such as "mythology", "legends" or "fables" being used to describe the Dreaming. ( http://library.thinkquest.org/C0115620/text/Beliefs.html)

The spirit of the dead must return to their Dreaming, and writing their name or showing their likeness prevents this from happening. The tradition is changing, because of an increased Western presence in Aboriginal society. It's part of the mourning process and a balancing force. I remember seeing something about the uses of the didjeridu in the Dreamtime-- a animal killed for food must have its spririt returned to the Dreamtime, and one way of doing that is rhythms that imitate the movement and sounds of that animal (i.e kookaburra, dingo, kangaroo, etc.)

Jason

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Didgeridoo/Didjeridu naming?
Next Topic: any ideas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 22:46:55 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05571 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.