Didjshop Forum
All about didgeridoos and didj-related topics

Home » Didjshop Forum » Maintenance and Repair » In depth repair of hairline cracks & how to repaint.
Re: In depth repair of hairline cracks & how to repaint. [message #5846 is a reply to message #5845] Wed, 23 June 2010 07:39 Go to previous message
gabriel9119 is currently offline  gabriel9119
Ok so here is how you repaint your didj.

Step one: the paint
- First take your newly sealed didj and lay it out on a surface that you won't care if paint get on it.
- Take your paint and mix it as best you can to the color you are repairing. It takes awhile, but once you get it right it looks amazing. Once again I used tempura paints and I don't know if they are good for doing this or not so I'll try to find out.
- You can use the nail to mix the paints up, but obviously you don't have to. The reason why I did is cause I had a nail laying around and it worked well enough to mix the paints. As well, paint wont dry on the nail faster then you can wipe it off so you won't mix the wrong color in when trying to change colors.
- I reccomend if the color you are repainting is complex; that you start off with the brightest base color. For instance mine was a dark burgundy orangy kind of color. I used a yellow base and with 1-2 drops at a time started adding orange, brown, red, white, and more yellow at various times. I even used 1 drop of black paint. I used that to achieve my color. It took awhile to get the exact color, but it was worth it in the end.
- As well if you want to get artistic and put on clashing colors to give your didj a sense of uniqeness be my guest.

Step 2: application
- Here is where the guitar strings come in. First off, if your using guitar strings get the small cut peices of the D and high E strings. If you just changed strings you should have small cut peices from the tuning pegs of your guitar or the bridge of your guitar in your trash can or on the floor.
-Put a bend in the high E string (this will come in later).
-Depending on the size of the crack's width; you be the judge on which string to use for applying paint I used both when needed.
- Dab the chosen string in the paint as if it were a feather ink pen from the 1800's.
- Simply apply the paint in small beads along the crack and even them out with the bend in the high E string by dragging it like a finger evening a measuring cup full of flour. (the bend is good for leveling paint)
- You can also use a brush or whatever you fancy to apply paint. I would reccomend using things the same thinnes of guitar strings because you need the upmost precision if you want a really good paint repair. You can use a tip of a needle or something. Whatever works for you.

And there you go. You might have to use several paints for there are many designs on painted didjes, but this will make it look so much better then it did before you painted it. As well you can achieve a wood-grainy texture by doing the following.

-With your finger or thumb dab the paint right before it dries or after you put it on. You be the judge of what's best.
- This will lift up the paint in a way that it will show your fingerprints in the crack where the paint is. But, it will actually look like wood grain and will feel like it once dry.
-Here is the problem if you dab too much or too hard you will lift all the new paint from the spot you dabbed on. You may have to reapply paint several times before you achieve the desired effect, but you'll enjoy it in the end.

Thank you for reading and I hope your repairs go as good as mine did.

Happy Didjing!!!

The greatest perfection seems imperfect,
and yet its use is inexhaustible.
The greatest fullness seems empty,
and yet its use is endless.

- Section of the 45th verse of the Tao

[Updated on: Wed, 23 June 2010 08:22]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: experience with egg-tempera paint?
Next Topic: Large Hole Repair
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 23:45:40 CDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06327 seconds

© Didjshop.com, 1993-2012. For rights reserved and granted see our Copyright notice.